[WEB4LIB] Re: Mozilla/Netscape 7.0 -- Students

Kevin W. Bishop bishopk at rpi.edu
Thu Jul 25 17:41:15 EDT 2002

At 02:15 PM 7/25/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> > Great ... we have a solution for the Mozilla issue -- why would it
> > blow up altogether in Netscape? Same issue, you think?
>
>Yep.  Netscape 7 is really just old Mozilla code with AOL's "stuff" added
>on ...
>
>So if something doesn't work in one, it likely won't work in the other
>either.

Not necessarily.  Mozilla will perform XSL transformations.  Netscape
won't.  (Old Mozilla code?)  It is the Gecko rendering engine they share,
that thing which performs the HTML/CSS transformations, as it were.

Each browser includes its own slew of other features ... which they may or
may not share.  They are very different browsers, but the way in which they
render HTML documents should be very similar.  Why?  Because they share
Gecko, and Gecko (intends to) work according to W3C recommendations.

-kb

Kevin W. Bishop   >   bishopk at rpi.edu
Communication & Collaboration Technologies
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
      RPInfo: http://www.rpi.edu/rpinfo/
      Kiosk: http://j2ee.rpi.edu:8080/kiosk/setup.do