Database products for the UNIX platform

Andro Gagné apgagne at frontiernet.net
Fri Jul 5 18:07:46 EDT 2002

Colleagues:

	Over the past 3 1/2 years I have had the opportunity, in a corporate
library setting, to gain quite a bit of experience developing databases
with intranet front ends and database-driven Web pages using Inmagic's
DB/TextWorks database software and its WebPublisher CGI/ISAPI scripts.  I
enjoy working with the Inmagic products very much, but DB/TextWorks was not
developed for use on a UNIX platform.  I now need to gain similar expertise
in developing databases on the FreeBSD UNIX platform, on which I've been
doing some part-time freelance Web development for several years.  Short of
an enterprise product like Oracle or Sybase, it appears to me that the most
obvious choices for a FreeBSD-compatible database program would be mSQL,
MySGL, and PostgreSQL.  I would really appreciate it if any of you who have
had a significant amount of experience with any of these products could
share with me the pros and cons of these products as you see them.  Please
send your responses directly to me.  I will summarize for the list if
others also seem interested in this information.

Thanks in advance,

Andro Gagné