ActiveX controls in Windows2000

Dobbs, Aaron DobbsA at apsu.edu
Wed Jul 24 09:30:43 EDT 2002

Andrew,

The "Cause" in the article you linked:
  "This behavior can occur if you do not have
   permission to write to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
   registry hive or the Downloaded Program Files
   folder on your computer."
indicates you must have write or modify (probably modify) permissions to
both locations to run their activeX.
Administrators have full cotrol of the registry hives, so the activeX
control works fine.
Users do not.  You said you changed the permissions of the "Downloaded
Program Files" folder, you also need to determine where AncestryPlus is
trying to modify the registry (the specific folder in the hive, which
hopefully is nested pretty deep) and grant the Users modify permissions to
that folder.

Another possibly easier way might be to add the AncestryPlus site to the
"Trusted sites" zone in IE.  Tools --> Internet Options --> Security --
Trusted Sites --> Sites --> Add
I haven't found an easier way in Netscape, though.

-Aaron
:-)'