[WEB4LIB] Re: virus checker for public computers

Lisa Leidig leidigl at ci.portsmouth.va.us
Tue Jul 23 08:42:52 EDT 2002

> Most of our campus uses Norton/Symantic virus software, but I hate how it
slows

Stacy Pober wrote:

> Most of our campus uses Norton/Symantic virus software, but I hate how it
slows
> down the systems. We also had some problems with it being very slow in
updating
> virus definition files (I think they had more demand than their servers
could
> handle at the time.)
>
> I am considering getting licenses for one of the alternative virus
checkers,
> such as InoculateIT from Computer Associates or AVG from Grisoft.  I used
that
> one when it was free and found that it didn't use system resources as much
as
> the Norton virus software.  Out of frugality, I'm now using AVG's  free
version
> on my home computers and have had no problems with it.
>
> Anyone want to recommend or warn me off of any particular virus products?

I've had the same performance concerns with Norton's LiveUpdate and
thankfully, there is a way around it. Intelligent Updater available on
Symantec's website, will give you an executable update for Norton that you
only have to download once. I burn a CD/zip with the file on it, and
updating is so much easier for me. www.symantec.com/downloads

At home, I'm using the Computer Associates anti-virus checker ($9.95
annually)and find it to be easier to use and less intrusive than any of the
other AV packages. My only complaint is that I can't schedule updates with
E-trust like I can with Norton. YMMV.

Lisa Leidig, Microcomputer Analyst
City of Portsmouth
757.393.8045