[WEB4LIB] RE: The Wireless Future of Library Computing

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Fri Jul 12 17:00:24 EDT 2002

As the person to whom Thomas refers below (of "wireless epiphany"
notoriety), I feel it necessary to say that my silence on this topic
hasn't come from my unwillingness to own my comments, but rather from
the responsibilities pertaining to a pesky little thing called my Day
Job. By now I have a number of things to say, so I'll get to it.

Wireless is indeed an interesting technology, but as has been mentioned
in this forum already there is much to know about it -- first and
foremost the security issue. The mere fact that I could jack into
someone's wireless network from a moving bus and send and receive email
should give anyone pause who doesn't want people doing that. And as
Darryl said, even being an authenticated user is no guarantee that your
bits are secure when flying through the air for anyone to grab.

But at least one thing is beyond debate -- wireless networks are
increasingly a part of library environments, particularly in the
academic sector. Therefore, it behooves us to know a good deal about
them, and about the appropriate delivery of services to wireless devices
of all kinds. I happen to agree with both Thomases (Dowling and Wilson)
that probably very few people will want to search the library catalog
from a cell phone (Wilson), but that should it be the only way possible
in a given situation it is better than nothing (Dowling). And it's our
responsibility to know what they will see when they do so.

Having burned myself before by making over-enthusiastic predictions (see
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9511/0211.html if you need
persuading), I would not say that wireless will transform anything
except for the user experience of those using it. That is, it is just
downright cool to be sitting, standing, or lying down wherever you want
to be and be connected to the Internet. I frequently find occasion to be
out back by the pool, or lying on the couch, or sitting in a public
park, and being completely connected while doing so is simply a
_really_neat _thing_. Sure, libraries will need to consider what their
services will look and act like when used on PDAs, cell phones, and the
like, and will also need to decide if they want to offer wireless
connectivity in their buildings, but these are relatively
straightforward questions that do not substantively change what
libraries are about.

It is, in fact, simply an extension of service in a logical and
incremental way, and therefore should be relatively free of controversy.
One might almost say a "no brainer", but then far be it from me to make
you think of that phrase in association with one of my postings -- you
may make an association that I would find unflattering.
Roy