[WEB4LIB] RE: The Wireless Future of Library Computing

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Jul 12 11:43:57 EDT 2002

At 11:26 AM 7/12/2002, Dan Marmion wrote:

>At this particular session, one of the speakers (I'll let him identify
>himself if he so chooses) talked about, among other things, the convenience
>of wireless and how it has potential to take on much greater importance in
>libraries.  But, he added, he didn't see the ability to search an OPAC via
>a cell phone as something that would appeal to a large number of people.

The speaker you're thinking of mentioned his "wireless epiphany" -- which I
believe is an IM from an archangel.  I believe it was two other people who
A) brought up web-enabled cell phones and/or PDAs and B) made the comment
about searching the OPAC on a cell phone.  As much respect as I have for
all the speakers, I wish someone had mentioned this: if you're even trying
to search the OPAC on a cell phone, it's a pretty good indication that you
have no other access available at that time, and if it won't work you're
well and truly stuck.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu