The Wireless Future of Library Computing

Blake Carver carver.50 at osu.edu
Fri Jul 12 09:38:15 EDT 2002

Keith Higgs wrote:

>The benefits for the rest of us? Look forward to more use of lower
>power, high performance chips similar to the Crusoe processors from
>Transmeta.  The real "Killer App" for mobile computing is going to be
>low power demand / super long battery life.  Migrate this technology
>into the desktop and server environment and you will see much quieter
>office workstations (fewer or no fans) and much lower costs to keep your
>server room cool.

Good points!
And speaking of batteries, CNN ran a story long ago on how batteries are
not keeping up.
The CNN story seems to have vanished into the ether, but the Slashdot
discussion remains:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/03/04/1153237&mode=flat&tid=126

If I recall the story correctly (warning, never trust my memory), it said
something like if batteries kept up with computers (and Moore's law), they
would have the power of a nuclear bomb, or something like that.

Blake Carver
Web Librarian
The Ohio State University Libraries
carver.50 at osu.edu