[WEB4LIB] The Wireless Future of Library Computing

Keith Higgs dkh2 at po.cwru.edu
Fri Jul 12 09:25:25 EDT 2002

The answer (I the laptop the final destination?) is, most definitely,
NO.

As portable computing devices become more powerful, versatile, and
connected the laptop form factor will give up ground to these newer
devices.  I particularly like the idea of a small, networked device that
meets all of my portable computing and communication needs.

The laptop form will still be used by those people who need the extra
power it can provide.  Presumeably there will be options to integrate
voice communications into the same device, perhaps with a wireless (IR
or otherwise) control module that will allow you to use the telephony
features without having to open the laptop for use.

The benefits for the rest of us? Look forward to more use of lower
power, high performance chips similar to the Crusoe processors from
Transmeta.  The real "Killer App" for mobile computing is going to be
low power demand / super long battery life.  Migrate this technology
into the desktop and server environment and you will see much quieter
office workstations (fewer or no fans) and much lower costs to keep your
server room cool.

Keith
D. Keith Higgs <mailto:dkh2 at po.cwru.edu>
 Case Western Reserve University