windows that keep popping up

Info Galway Library info at galwaylibrary.ie
Sat Jan 19 09:40:24 EST 2002

Hi,

With many porn sites, closing the site has the affect of causing another
window to open. I presume this is done with JavaScript and the 'onUnload'
event handler.

For an experiment, I created a web page that causes a window to open when
closed. This window in turn contains a document that causes a window to open
when closed. The last window opened contains the first document and so the
process continues in an unending loop.

My question is how can this beast be controlled. On a public access pc,
opening pornographic sites while you are attempting to close them can be
embarrassing especially when you are not the person who opened the original
site. Is there a quick way of closing such sites or is the 'onUnload' event
handler more trouble than it is worth?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

John Fitzgibbon