[WEB4LIB] Re: More on Google going commercial

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Thu Jan 3 10:34:19 EST 2002

Raymond Wood wrote:

> I use the latest Mozilla browser (version 0.9.7) to do exactly
> this for my favourite web sites all the time.  Simply
> right-click, and choose 'Block images from this server'.  The
> next time you reload the same web site - poof - no more ads.
> There are other ways too.  If you dislike ads, you'll like this
> feature of Mozilla -- it's a breath of fresh air.  I also still
> use a text-only web browser often for just this reason --
> distracting ads that detract from relaxed web surfing are simply
> annoying.

    That is a nifty feature and I have great respect for Mozilla, but it
doesn't solve the problem. Remember, for the most part, Google uses text
only ads. So you're still going to have to look past advertisement to
get your information. I personally use Opera most of the time and it has
a one keystroke command to stop loading graphics for a webpage. However,
I think surfing the web without images is like drinking decaffeinated
coffee with non-dairy creamer and artificial sweetener... What's the
point? It's like cutting all the pictures out of the National
Geographic. :)

> I could never tolerate any mailer that pestered me with ads.  I
> agree that ads should be ignored, but there are better ways than
> just grinning and bearing it IMHO  :)

    Nahh, it's just good ol' reliable Netscape Communicator v4.76. I use
Netscape only at work because, as far as I can tell, Opera doesn't
support the IMAP system we use here and runs strictly POP. For those who
don't use Communicator, specifically the mail part known as Messenger,
when you log in and open your Inbox you get a quickie news blurb in the
message window along with some ads. I've gotten so accustomed to just
clicking on the first message, which wipes out the news and ads, that
I've had to reload the programme because the story looked interesting.
    As much as I hate ads on the Internet, well not just on the Internet
but anywhere else for that matter, it makes it easy to just ignore them.
The only ads that I can't ignore are the ones which interrupt the
football games on TV! :)

Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
-------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                     -Hunter S. Thompson