OPAC issues

Fernando Gómez fgomez at criba.edu.ar
Fri Feb 1 17:19:13 EST 2002

I'm not sure whether this topic fits into the list...

I have an interest in OPAC design (Web based OPACs especially). Almost the
full spectrum of OPACs issues are of interest to my present work: the
services an OPAC should offer (being in a Web environment), the design of
user interfaces, the evaluation of user-OPAC interactions, etc. My interest
is not only "theoretical": I've been developing an OPAC during 2001, and
another one is waiting in the near future.

I know there is a large literature discussing these issues, although due to
the lack of well developed library science collections in Argentina, I've
been relying mostly on what is freely available on the Web. Anyhow, in my
experience only a few articles carry the kind of ideas or concepts which
leave you thinking about them, and deserve to be recommended to colleagues.

So that's what I'm looking for: if someone on the list is familiar with
these topics, could you share some of your favorite references? And if
there's a more proper "place" for OPAC discussion on the Net, please inform
me.

Thanks a lot, and regards from Argentina.

Fernando Gómez

Fernando Gómez
email: fgomez at criba.edu.ar
ICQ 141305109