FrontPage Web on shared server

Karen Knox kknox at tln.lib.mi.us
Tue Feb 5 17:03:13 EST 2002

I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help me with this...

We're just starting to use FrontPage 2000 for web page development.  I'm
currently migrating our web site to a new server, running Linux & Apache.
We will not be "publishing" to the Web directly (in the sense of FrontPage
publishing), but rather FTP-ing (actually WinSCP-ing for security) our files
to/from the server.  (I know the FP server extensions exist for Linux, but I
don't want to get into that.)  However, we do have a WinNT 4.0 server that
is a file server, where we have shared drives and such.

What I want to do is create a FrontPage Web on a shared drive on our NT
server so that all members of our Web Team can access it, edit files, etc.
in a common spot that's not on the web server itself.  I've tried this a
number of times, and I can't get it to work.  I installed FrontPage on the
NT server, created the Web, and populated it with all the web files.  Then,
from a client (Win98) workstation, I go into FrontPage and do an Open Web
and point to the shared drive location, and I get this error:
	"The server "" timed out.  The current request did not complete
successfully."
This NT server does not have IIS (or FP server extensions) installed and is
not acting as a web server.  But I wouldn't think it should have to.  I just
want it to store the files.

Can anyone provide any insight for me??  Thanks much.

          Karen
Karen C. Knox, MLIS
kknox at tln.lib.mi.us
Head of Systems & Technology