[WEB4LIB] Help with forms in FrontPage

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Sat Feb 2 16:48:02 EST 2002

At 10:54 AM 2/2/02 -0800, Tom Gardner wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am the webmaster (just started) at the Mercer County Library in NJ and I
>would appreciate it if somebody could help me with the following problem:
>
>How, in FrontPage 4.0, would one go about setting up multiple mailtos in a
>form? I need an online form, once submitted, to go to 3 separate e-mail
>addresses at once. Is there a way to do this in the html form code itself?
>If so, I have not found it.
>
>Any help would be appreciated. If you could point me to a site with code
>that already does this, so much the better!

What you need is a server-side script to do this.

There are serious problems in using mailto as the action for a
form.  Depending on the user's browser and/or e-mail client, the form
submission may work, not work, not work *right*, or--worst of all--appear
to work while silently leaving the mail unsent.  The same holds true for
mailto links that are tricked out with Cc: and Subject: headers as part of
the URL.

Thomas Dowling
OhioLINK
tdowling at ohiolink.edu