FRBR Call for System Liaisons

Melinda Stowe mstowe at library.rochester.edu
Mon Dec 9 12:07:06 EST 2002

On behalf of our Head of Cataloging, I was asked to forward the
following to WEB4LIB.  Thanks.

{apologies for cross-postings)

The Joint Steering Committee for Revision of Anglo-American Cataloguing
Rules' Format Variation Working Group is seeking to establish liaisons
with system vendors and utilities that are either engaged with or are
considering incorporating the data model from the Functional
Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR) into the design of their
products.

The Format Variation Working Group is now beginning to develop criteria
for evaluating online systems that organize bibliographic data according
to the FRBR model. We are especially interested in issues related to
creating systems that users will find intelligible and easy to use,
rather than simply implementing the FRBR theoretical model for the sake
of doing so. We welcome the opportunity to discuss this issue with those
who are in the process of developing these systems.

The JSC Format Variation Working Group was charged in 2001 with
investigating the feasibility of incorporating the FRBR entity
"expression" into AACR utilizing a proof of concept model. In June 2002
our discussion paper, "Dealing With FRBR Expressions in MARC 21" (MARBI
DP-08) was discussed by MARBI at the ALA Annual Meeting. This paper,
along with the other reports from the Group to date, are posted on the
website of the Joint Steering Committee at
http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/jsc/current.html .

System vendors who would like to establish a formal liaison relationship
with the JSC's Format Variation Working Group may contact the group's
Chair, Jennifer Bowen, at jbowen at library.rochester.edu or (585)
274-1370.

Jennifer Bowen
Head of Cataloging, University of Rochester Libraries
Head of Technical Services, Sibley Music Library, Eastman School of
Music
jbowen at library.rochester.edu
(585) 274-1370

Rush Rhees Library, Box 270055
University of Rochester,
Rochester, NY 14627-0055
or
Sibley Music Library, Eastman School of Music
27 Gibbs St., Rochester, NY 14604