Seeking Instructor - Metadata and Record Building for Digitization Projects

Lori Bowen Ayre LBAyre at galecia.com
Fri Dec 20 15:44:29 EST 2002

Greetings All,

I'm looking for an instructor again (thanks to your help with bringing me
Eric Lease Morgan last time I asked for help from the list!).

This time, I'm looking for someone who can do a one day workshop for the
third course in Infopeople's digitization series.  This one is entitled
"Metadata and Record Building."  It follows the "Managing a Digitization
Project" and "Scanning for Preservation and Access" courses.

I'm looking for someone meeting the following qualifications:

1.  Knowledgable about standards that pertain to digitization projects.
2.  Skilled with using ILS products, digital asset managements as well as
database and spreadsheet tools for managing the production of metadata for
digitization projects.
3.  Available to develop course Jan/Feb and teach it 2x in March, 2003.
4.  California resident (preferred)
5.  From the public library sector (preferred)
6.  Training experience preferred (on the job type training as opposed to
teaching in an academic environment)
7.  Able to leap tall building in a single bound.

Here's a short description of the course:

Metadata and Record-Building:
The process of digitizing primary source material requires not only
cataloging the original item but also recording information about the
“digital surrogate” you’ve created.   Metadata and Record-Building provides
students with information about current metadata standards such as Dublin
Core and MARC and examines their similarities and differences.  The
California Digital Library’s Metadata Standards will be reviewed and
students will work on defining metadata elements appropriate for their
collection.  Special attention will be paid to describing items for use
locally as well as in the context of a union catalog like the OAC.  Useful
techniques for recording metadata in an efficient and flexible way will be
presented.

Contact me directly with your suggestions for a suitable instructor.

Much appreciated,

Lori Ayre