[WEB4LIB] RE: Access2002 vs. SQL .. which way do we go?

Pinkham, Lida LPinkham at plcmc.org
Fri Dec 13 15:06:43 EST 2002

Richard,

You are right usage is relative.  I was not careful with my words. According
to big business standards our usage would be a drop in the bucket. Matched
up against other similar libraries, I think our's is quite high.I don't have
specifics on hits on the databases as that is not my area, but I do know
that our sites get over 1.5 million hits per month.

Karen,

I would consider 14,000 transactions in one month to be pretty low. I know
for fact that several of our Access databases get 10x that in a month and
they run fine.

It could be a multitude of reasons - code used to access the data,
complexity of the requests, version of Access, the server, how you have the
workload divided between the servers, etc. This is not my area of expertise.
I was just sharing that we have been able to do quite a lot with Access. We
have 5 web sites that are 100% driven by Access and ASP and our other 6
sites use Access & ASP quite heavily.

There are a lot of libraries out there that would not be able to afford the
equipment, software, and most importantly the staff to administer an SQL
Server.

I guess we are learning that ultimately, it depends on your needs and
resources.