[WEB4LIB] A library not yet on the web

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Dec 12 09:22:25 EST 2002

Dan,

According to the article, the library actually has Internet access:

"The Oscar Johnson Memorial Library, located in a former church building,
has a lone computer, which Chandler admits is popular with youngsters as
the Internet has reached this farming village near the Alabama Gulf coast.
"
In my personal opinion, every library should have Internet access. This is
especially true in those states where statewide resources are available
to all public libraries, as they are in Michigan. I've heard enough
success stories about how Internet access and access to computer
technology, like Gates computers, has made a positive impact on the
patrons who use the library. That being said, I think every library should
strive to meet the needs of their patrons. If, for whatever reason,
Internet access is not a need for the patrons, there's no reason to push
it onto a library that may not be equipped to handle supporting its use or
supporting computers.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library