Multicasting PC images to maintain public pcs

Josh Kuperman josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us
Thu Dec 5 12:51:45 EST 2002

I have been trying unsuccessfully to get Deploy Center to work for
mulitcasting. I need a way to move an image from a server to multiple
PCs. I have been using Drive Image Pro/ Deploy Center with images
stored on a CD and it works well, but I can't get the networking
components to function.

1. Has anyone had success using Ghost, Delta Deply (Drive Image), or
Imagecast [am I missing some] to send images to a number of machines
over a network. The last time I found decent support was from Ghost
before Symantec bought it, but I'm tough on support people.

2. I would also like to be able to automatically modify some settings
-- notably network setting and the default user login -- after
transmitting the images.

I am open to numerous options. The images at present are Windows 98
with Gigs of installed software. This would mean that error correction
and the ability to resume would be a big plus. I have both Linux and
W2K machines, as well as the ability to dedicate a machine to the task
if I have to. Basically, if there was a way to do it all with Linux
that was simpler than with a Windows based product, I'd check it
out. But if there was a simple W2K based method I'd go with that.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us