[WEB4LIB] Re: Access2002 vs. SQL .. which way do we go?

cruby cruby at micron.com
Thu Dec 5 12:47:45 EST 2002

I have been following this discussion as we have two web pages, one that
shows all of our library holdings and one that lists just our electronic
publications, that are both maintained via Access 2000.  We recently have
added some new electronic publications and some licenses have changed so
access is restricted to just our main site.  I had someone in our IS
department design the Access database and resulting pages for us.  Now when
I ask her if there is a way to highlight the new titles (even just putting a
graphic that says new) and emphasizing a title is limited to one site, she
tells me that it can't be done.  According to her this Access database
(which uses ASP to get the info to our web pages) is strictly text and that
means black and white text only and no images and no changes in font or font
sizes.  If this is true, would we be better off going back to our old hard
coding method?  Or would SQL take care of this problem?  We are talking
about 150 so journals and 30 or so electronic publications.  The electronic
publications are available from a variety of vendors so relying on a vendor
product isn't an option.

I am going to talk to the person in Software Support and Training who
specializes in Access but thought I would check with all of you to see if we
have other options.  At this point buying special software is not an option
but we do have Access, SQL, etc. available to us.  I may even be able to get
a different programmer to help if I can give enough justification.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Carolyn

Carolyn Ruby-Weilage
Micron Technology
MS 552