updated listing of chat services

Stephen_Francoeur at baruch.cuny.edu Stephen_Francoeur at baruch.cuny.edu
Tue Aug 27 16:02:23 EDT 2002

This summer, I've been updating the list of chat reference services on my
web site, the Teaching Librarian. I've added dozens of new services (both
standalone services run by a single library and consortia run by a group of
libraries). The site has separate lists grouping the services by:

location
http://pages.prodigy.net/tabo1/chatsites.htm

software used
http://pages.prodigy.net/tabo1/chatsoftware.htm

library type
http://pages.prodigy.net/tabo1/chatlibrarytypes.htm

services that are run by a consortium or partnership
http://pages.prodigy.net/tabo1/chatconsortia.htm

One of my favorite services I added this summer is the Information Gas
Station, which is offered by the Helsinki City Library (
http://igs.kirjastot.fi/index3.html). Someone in Finland has been having a
lot of fun designing these pages.

I've also added some new material on the main chat reference page (
http://pages.prodigy.net/tabo1/chat.htm) about promoting chat services
using more than just flyers and links on the library website.

To prevent spam from cluttering up my mailbox here at Baruch College, I've
changed the e-mail contact address to teachinglibrarian at yahoo.com, so if
you have any corrections or suggestions, please send them to that email
address.

Thanks to all those who sent me in the past few months tips about new
services, dead links, etc. I'll continue to udpate the site through the
fall.

Stephen Francoeur
Information Services Librarian
Newman Library, Box H-0520