[WEB4LIB] Re: Question 2

Kevin W. Bishop bishopk at rpi.edu
Wed Aug 7 16:25:02 EDT 2002

Hi Bill,

I've always loved the challenge of persuading the markup to do just exactly
what we want it to do ... but let me encourage you once again to validate
the code (HTML and CSS) before asking for help.  This will enable all of us
in our busy lives to more quickly determine whether to finger browser
limitations, look at other markup alternatives, pull our hair out, etc.

After looking at the CSS you included in your last message, I'd recommend
experimenting with relative positioning first.  Because of browser quirks
and the complications the cascade can impose, absolute positioning can be
very tricky (particularly when nesting elements).  Besides, relative
positioning is like a relative width for your table: it adjusts itself
according to user preferences.

The source of the problem you describe is often a matter of adding up the
margins, paddings and widths of the columns and its contents.  (The
presence or absence of a width definition for your columns may also be
relevant.)  Sometimes you'll need a less-than-100% total to see your
columns stack up as desired.

You may also want to replace the Flash file with something else that will
hold its place (same dimensions) in order to expedite testing ... depending
on your local setup, of course.

Hope this helps!
-kb

Kevin W. Bishop   >   bishopk at rpi.edu
Communication & Collaboration Technologies
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
      RPInfo: http://www.rpi.edu/rpinfo/
      Kiosk: http://j2ee.rpi.edu:8080/kiosk/setup.do