[WEB4LIB] Fonts

Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org
Fri Aug 9 10:38:04 EDT 2002

This small thread has been a learning experience--to wit:

1. Making millions of nonroman cataloging records available in the proper
scripts still entails compromise (which I actually knew already), albeit a
whole lot less compromise than forcing users of East Asian, Hebrew, or
Arabic materials to cope with romanized versions

2. When people tell me "That's just Dreamweaver," they're taking the easy
way out (blaming the tool). (My limited Web work either uses UltraEdit-32
[at work, for Eureka-related stuff] or Symantec's freebie that they used to
bundle with Norton Utilities.)

3. My real question should have been, "Are you assigning fonts out of
laziness rather than for actual design or language reasons?" and there's no
good answer to that. Consider it an open suggestion: Many sites would be
equally friendly and attractive with a whole lot fewer font tags, either
directly or via CSS.

Thanks to those who improved my understanding of the situation(s).
-walt crawford-