[WEB4LIB] Lovers of Fortress Convince Me

Paul Taylor ptaylor at tln.lib.mi.us
Mon Aug 5 18:30:32 EDT 2002

I have been using Fortres in our library for around four years, and I think it
was one of the best investments we ever made. I don't know how well it scales
beyond 20 or so computers, but for our purposes it's great; I don't even use
the network management component--and I have it installed on 12 public
computers with various uses. I have seen it installed on a grander scale, but
you would definitely need to employ its network capabilities to manage it.

I can't personally speak on locking-down through Windows policies, as I
haven't used them in a few years--not since replacing NT4 with Linux. True,
adding third-party software adds complexity, but on the other hand, for my
purposes, it's much easier to let someone else do the dirty work, a la
Fortres, rather than learn the arcane intricacies of Windows policy files.
I'm sure there is greater control using them, but as we deploy our public
computer services, the fine-tuning offered for security purposes would be
gilding the lily.

In our case, we use Fortres 101 to lock down the system generally, and Fortres
Cooler to lock down elements within applications. A site license for us was,
back then, something like $795 for Fortres 101. I'm sure client access
licenses for NT/2k would surpass that, in order to utilize server-based M$
group policies, so I am happy not to pay the M$ tax and use Fortres instead.

Perhaps it will be a matter of preference for you, both in terms of the
approach you prefer to take, and in the level of nagging you are willing to
take from those insisting on their own preferred 'solution' that you will be
managing anyhow. :)

-Paul

--
Paul Taylor