[WEB4LIB] Re: monitor cleaner

Keith Higgs dkh2 at po.cwru.edu
Fri Aug 2 13:01:52 EDT 2002

The problem with a plain pencil eraser is not in the eraser, but the
"lead" from the pencil.

It's been a very long time since pencil leads were made from lead or
even of mostly graphite.  Nearly all pencil leads today are a mixture of
various clays, graphite, maybe a little lead, and who knows what.

The oils in the clay are what cause the smearage. You need some sort of
solvent that will lift clay off of the surface.

Forgive me, I watch entirely too much PBS.

Keith
D. Keith Higgs <mailto:dkh2 at po.cwru.edu>
 Case Western Reserve University, Webmaster - University Library
 Additional Information at http://www.cwru.edu/UL/
"Follow the white rabbit."