FW: OCLC white paper. My thoughts

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Fri Aug 2 11:54:01 EDT 2002

I am going
to give my take on each question raised in the OCLC white paper.

1. Can librarians ensure easy remote access to electronic information
resources through technologies like NCIP? Are library policies and
procedures in place to support broad access? Can database license
restrictions be eased?

This can be done very easily by implementing software such as EZproxy.  It
has be done by many libraries within the State University of New York system
and elsewhere.

2. Can librarians create multiple access points at the web locations
students prefer, whether those are search engines, portals, or the campus
bookstore's site?

I am not sure what is meant by multiple access points.  If they mean links
on more pages to the library, this would be possible.  If they mean
something else, we need more explanation.

3. Can libraries deliver websites that directly present and connect to
relevant information from many databases and resources, including faculty,
curriculum, and administrative websites?

I thought we are already doing this.  New technologies such as Open URL
standard will enhance this.  Better metadata will also help here.

4. Should librarians enable "remote circulation" through automated,  patron
initiated interlibrary loan? Should librarians grant students reciprocal
borrowing privileges among other libraries within geographical proximity?

Remote circulation is one goal of the SUNYConnect project via the Aleph500
LMS from Ex Libris.  Most academic libraries that I know of have agreements
for reciprocal borrowing among other libraries in "geographical proximity."

5. Can librarians deliver the kind of personalized, interactive service that
will appeal to them?

I think we do this already in the better academic libraries.  We do so at
SUNY Morrisville and many other SUNY libraries.  It certainly can always be
done better.

6. Can librarians create a customer-friendly experience to match the best
merchants and consumer websites?

This will always be a moving target just beyond our grasp but is one we
should aim for any way.

7. Can librarians execute marketing rules for product definition, promotion,
price, placement, and positioning?

It has been done in many academic libraries.  Those that don't do it should
just shut their doors and go home.

8.  Are students' perceptions of customer service based on exposure to
professional librarians,paraprofessionals, or students?

Student perceptions are based on all three and not just on what they see on
weekends or late at night.  This is really the only some what stupid
question raised by the paper.  Most academic librarians I know work some
evening hours or some weekends.

Bill Drew
drewwe at morrisville.edu