[WEB4LIB] Thoughts on Web Site Subject Headings

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Apr 12 17:11:45 EDT 2002

Boise State has gone through this discussion, ad nauseam.

If you check out www.boisestate.edu you'll find that the organization
is, at least at the top level, along "type of patron" lines.  There
are links to pages that give the hierarchical/organizational lines, of
course.

This has been VERY unpopular among faculty, who think all should be
done according to their college, department, etc.  Of course each
department has its own web page.

The library homepage http://library.boisestate.edu also follows
functional or "type of request" guidelines, though ultimately many of
the pages are for library departments.  In both the library and the
rest of the university that is to be expected, since most pages are
created by people in one department.  You'd need not only an overall
webmaster, but some staff with him/her to create all the pages
otherwise.  And, of course, however those were created you'd still
have lots of unhappy folks, mainly because the pages weren't created
the way.

To me, much of this illustrates that we're used to thinking
hierarchically, and even in an environment that doesn't require such
thinking, we can't break our mental habits and organizational habits.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA