Internet Explorer question

Robert Sullivan scp_sulli at sals.edu
Tue Apr 23 15:06:07 EDT 2002

>Public Web Browser does this. I never found a reliable way to do this with
>just IE and reg hacks.

As Andrew said, I don't think there is a way to do this solely through the
registry.  I believe there is a setting which will prevent downloads
completely, but that's not what you want.

If you're using NT or an equivalent, setting the profile's desktop to read-only
would prevent saving there.  That would usually be:

C:\Winnt\Profiles\{public account}\Desktop

or "Documents and Settings" instead of Winnt in Win2K.

Other permissions will prevent saving to your hard disk.  (Just spent 4 hours
yesterday cleaning off our Gates PCs, which by default allow all manner of
ActiveX debris to accumulate.)  I allow downloads to a Public folder for files
larger than a floppy, but have removed Execute permissions from that folder.

You may also want to increase the level of security in IE (make sure it's at
least medium) to prevent some of those downloads.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org