[WEB4LIB] Re: Flash vs HTML

Michael McCulley drweb at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 8 22:55:02 EDT 2002

I don't often take any issue with your views, Thomas, but in this case, I'm not sure it's clear if you object to Flash:

 *as an application because it requires a plug-in;
 *that a secondary text/HTML version is required (is that in the accessibility requirements of ADA or related document?); or,
 *that it does not provide *any* capabilities for information presentation beyond simple HTML, and isn't "needed"?

Or, all of the above? I'm not sure that Flash vs. HTML as in this subject header is accurate, anyway; I'm not sure they are in any competition for Web pages or design. HTML Web pages may have Flash applications or products called or embedded as part of their code.

I do see some fine, early work being done with Flash in libraries --like the tour noted here earlier; and, I think using a multimedia presentation application --even a proprietary one-- for training, tutorials, tours, demonstrations, etc. does provide some advantages over standard HTML text/image (static) pages. It's more a matter of using the best tools available for the job at hand, and that users can readily use and take advantage of, too.

I wonder if you'd clarify your view, Thomas? Let me add, I do believe in multiple formats for users; offering an HTML and PDF version is becoming quite common, it seems.

I think the question for Library Web sites and usability is what versions of our information we provide, e.g. HTML and Flash; text and HTML; HTML and PDF; Flash and text, and so on. I'm not sure there's a lot of guidance here, beyond what the Web team feels is most effective and useful --other than meeting the accessibility requirements of law.

Best,
Michael

P. Michael McCulley
mailto:drweb at earthlink.net
San Diego, CA
*Speaking Only for Himself*

Quote of the Moment:
-It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys.