[WEB4LIB] RE: why ebooks and when?

rich at richardwiggins.com rich at richardwiggins.com
Sun Sep 2 16:14:42 EDT 2001

A handful of dental schools, including NYU, announced last year that they would provide all 4 years of required reading on a single DVD.  They went with a proprietary technology that requires a Powerbook, but you could imagine e-book or XML versions of the product.  The four year cost of the DVD is *higher* than for print books, but NYU claims you win because it's updated every semester:

http://www.nyu.edu/dental/vitalbook/faq.html

and

http://www.notesys.com/Copies/NYT2Mar90Dental.htm

Fits with the idea that e-books become compelling for specialized uses that require massive amounts of content, searchability, and small consumption of space.

Let's hope these dental schools don't also use distance education for clinical courses. :-)

/rich

 BUT I would *love* to get