[WEB4LIB] pc's for Web browser workstations

Phillip B. Whitford pwhitford at braswell-library.org
Fri Sep 21 09:33:32 EDT 2001

We recently purchased 52 machines and our specs were:

Intel Pentium III 1 Ghz or better processor, 256 MB 133Mhz SDRAM,  20 GB
ATA-100 hard drive, 3.5" floppy drive, 16X DVD ROM drive, 250MB Iomega Zip
drive, 64MB 4X AGP graphics card with DVD decoder, MS Intellimouse, 3Com
10/100 Fast Ethernet card or 10/100 Ethernet integrated on motherboard,
Soundblaster compatible 64V sound card or comparable device integrated on
motherboard, headphones, standard keyboard, one parallel, two serial and two
USB ports, MS Windows 2000 Pro with latest service packs installed, 17"
.28dp color monitor, mid tower style case with 250 watt or better power
supply.

At the time we decided to avoid the Pentium IV machines because of the
significant cost difference verses the performance increase.  The prices
have since dropped on Pentium Iv's but the point might still be valid.

Phillip B. Whitford
Braswell Memorial Library
344 Falls Rd, Rocky Mount, NC 27804
252-442-1951
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Braswell Library