[WEB4LIB] pc's for Web browser workstations

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Sep 21 09:26:17 EDT 2001

Calvin,

Assuming that meets the needs of your CD-ROM applications, that sounds more than adequate for the web browsing components.  A couple things that you didn't mention are the audio/video capabilties of the workstations.  Did you plan on offering that to users?  If so, make sure that you have included a sound card into the specs.  Also, what OS are you planning to run this on? If these are going to be Windows machines, depending on when you actually place your order, they may come with WindowsXP, assuming you don't specify an
alternative.  You might want to check out the system requirements for XP.  I have heard that it is quite the RAM hog.

My experience with workstations dedicated for Internet use is that the 2 most important components of these machines is a fast connection and a lot of RAM.  The web browsers themselves don't really benefit from fast processors but the plug-ins really run better with more RAM.  So, if you have to choose between a faster processor or more RAM, go with the RAM.  Also, I think when you go to order your machines, you'll probably be hard pressed to find 700 Mhz machines.  I think the base these days is around 1 Ghz and moving
upward.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library