[WEB4LIB] webpage counter

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Sep 21 08:48:24 EDT 2001

> Can anyone recommend a webpage counter that does not involve subscribing
to a provider?

I think the best answer to this is: demand access to your log files.  Your
web server is creating more data on page hits than you can shake a stick
at, and there are some very adept programs available for analyzing them
(from standard spreadsheets through dedicated log analyzers to custom-made
scripts).

> A javascript, if one exists, would be preferable otherwise a perl/cgi
script although we can also use PHP and Python.

There is such a thing as server-side Javascript, but if you're thinking of
something in the browser, it won't work.  You need server-side technology
to count hits on the server.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu