internet radio in libraries

James B Lenze KC8NNU jlenze at tln.lib.mi.us
Sat Sep 22 14:48:46 EDT 2001

The Gates Foundation computers we got mainly to provide word processing
and children's educational resources/games are increasingly in demand by
patrons wishing to listen to internet radio stations and streaming audio
files.  Some of our staff are recommending that we ban such use of the
computers.  Others are recommending that we install headphones on all the
internet terminals so patrons can access audio files on any of them.  My
task is determine the pros and cons of either course of action.

Some staff claim that streaming audio eats up to much bandwidth, and our
internet connections are too slow already.  Does anyone know how much
bandwidth streaming audio uses (on average)?  How does it compare with
chat rooms or playing multiplayer games over the 'net?

I would like to hear from libraries that have headphones at their internet
terminals:  what has your experience been like?  what problems (if any)
have you had?  Have you noticed a change in your "internet speed"?

Of course, if we facillitate listening to the radio or other sound files
over the 'net, patrons will also want to access streaming video with
audio.  (They may already be watching streaming video, but no one has
complained about it yet.)

Any help would be appreciated.

--
James B. Lenze -------- KC8NNU