[WEB4LIB] Ghost and SID's with Windows 2000

Phillip B. Whitford pwhitford at braswell-library.org
Mon Oct 22 06:58:15 EDT 2001

Isabel,

You didn't mention the version of Ghost you are using but we've recently
been using Ghost 7.0 to roll out 50 new Win2K computers.  It's working well
for us but you do have to change the SID using either the included
Ghostwalker utility or Microsoft Sysprep.  Sysprep has to be obtained from
Microsoft. We are using Ghostwalker.

You can change the SID without having to reclone the PC. Apparently it's
possible to have the SID changed automatically using the automated Multicast
rollout procedure in Ghost 7.0 but we are doing it manually along with the
computer name change.

The Ghost manual does note that changing SIDs is an inexact technique which
may not work with all configurations. It states some applications use and
store the SID independently of Win2K. Unfortunately the Ghost manual does
not list incompatible applications. It's been my experience that manuals
from Norton are often unclear and incomplete.

If you like I can send you our written steps for cloning WIn2K machines
using Ghost and Ghostwalker.

Phillip B. Whitford
Braswell Memorial Library
344 Falls Rd, Rocky Mount, NC 27804
252-442-1951
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Braswell Library