Late Binding/Dynamic Linking (Was: NYT Article: Pornography Takes Over Financial Site for Children)

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Fri Oct 26 10:06:59 EDT 2001

Builders of libraries on the internet need to learn what the on-line
porn industry is teaching (the hard way)-

Linking in well-designed information systems is dynamic, not static.

Are you putting static links into your OPAC? Bad idea, and not just
because of creeping porn. You need to put dynamic links there,
dynamics links that you can control at time of use. URL's change,
sometimes for good reasons, often for stupid reasons. You may want to
change the url's yourself. You may wish to provide customized links,
such as OpenURL links, or you may want just track the usage of links.
To do any of this, you should point links at a redirecting link
server that you control.

The publisher that sent out a CD-ROM with static links is up the
proverbial creek. What they ought to have done is to have their links
pointing at their own link server. If they had done that, they could
have easily cut the connection as soon as they found out about the
porn site. There are plenty of business reasons for doing this as
well.

In computer science, the technique of fixing the link at the time of
use rather than at the time of compilation is called "late binding".
It is at the core of modern object oriented languages like Java.

Eric

--
Eric Hellman
Openly Informatics, Inc.