[WEB4LIB] Re: database links within frame

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Oct 17 08:50:41 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Kuntz" <jkuntz at ansernet.rcls.org>
> I used to think "framing" was an abomination, until we tried to
> configure workstations locked down to access licensed database sites
> only. The Enyclopedia Britannica Online service prominently features
> the Britannica Web Guide, a catalog to thousands of web sites. It
> accesses them through frames. Our lockdown method (Public Web
> Browser's OnlyAccess.txt file) allows those frames to display. Had
> EB used new windows, we'd have to set up those thousands of domain
> names...
>
> Whether this work through a lockdown via a proxy server, I don't
> know.

Framing remains an abomination.  Apparently, so is your lockdown software,
since it provides so obvious a way to defeat it and so inconsistent a way
to deal with links outbound from permitted sites.  If it was me, I'd ask
for my money back and move to a proxy (which certainly wouldn't be fooled
this way).

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu