Scripting needed to resolve live reference chat problem

D. Keith Higgs dkh2 at po.cwru.edu
Fri Nov 30 10:33:52 EST 2001

We have a graphic link to a 3rd party provided live chat application
that has been causing our pages not to load at times when the remote
site is inaccessible for any reason.  Reasons for non-access range
from their server being down to the rare problems with our network or
our gateway.

We would like to detect the availability of the remote, off-campus
server before attempting to load the very short SSI included content.

My initial take on this is to use a client side script (Javascript) to
a) detect accessibility then b) document.write() the appropriate code
to the browser. I just need a way to determine success/failure in
acquiring the remotely hosted image.

Our Reference personnel are getting a little cranky that their pages fail
to load if the LivePerson Pro site is inaccessible.

BTW, If your institution is looking at online reference chat services I
would vote against this one.  If the site is inaccessible your page fails
to load. If the site is accessible and the page loads - the LPP code
renders your page unprintable (you really can't send anything to the
printer). Just a bit of a problem on Reference Department pages.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith