[WEB4LIB] Re: Creating local content for web

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Wed May 23 14:19:37 EDT 2001

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 09:25:14AM -0700, Caleb Tucker-Raymond wrote:
> If you really don't want to learn programming, and depending on how cheap
> is cheap, go for Filemaker.

IMO, if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well.  Filemaker (and
even Access for that matter) is a half-baked solution - really.

> At any rate, I'm into MySQL and PHP. They are widely used in generating
> dynamic content and the community is out there to answer your questions.
> They are also widely documented (see mysql.com and php.net).

I have to support this recommendation.  These 2 are a very popular
combination and would doubtless work very nicely unless you need a
gigantically scaleable system.

> If you're just starting out, and if you're not generating dynamic content
> right away, I feel like PERL is a better choice.

Again IMHO, the only time that I would recommend PERL over PHP
specifically for database-driven web sites is if the developer *already*
knew PERL.  Otherwise, if you are starting from square one, PHP is
surely the better choice of the two.

[snip]

My $0.02,
Raymond