[WEB4LIB] Creating local content for web

Thomas M G Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed May 23 13:02:09 EDT 2001

Zope is free, runs on Linux, Windows, Solaris, Amiga, and maybe others.  It
contains its own database or you can use a database adapter to connect to
PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, ODBC, or Sybase (and maybe some others).  SQL is
limited by the database you choose.  Although based on Python, I think the
newest version supports external Perl scripts(maybe ActivePerl
http://www.activestate.com ) in addition to external Python scripts.

  If you're running on Linux then PostgreSQL and MySQL are free to use.  If
I'm not mistaken, MySQL is not totally free to run on Windows (read the fine
print) and I'm not sure about PostgreSQL on Windows.  I have had success
testing Zope with MySQL on an NT server and then moved to Linux and
PostgreSQL.  Support is great through the Zope and Zope-Dev lists.

Thomas

  Use The Help Desk at http://linux.library.appstate.edu/help
                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 2797

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine