.wav files

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Tue May 8 14:26:58 EDT 2001

>Block the use of Real Player :)
>On the grounds that it allows patrons to somewhat circumvent your security.
>Besides that real player is the most annoying audio/video application (in my
>opinion).  Real Player has a tendency to take over a machine and change all
>sorts of settings (withou t asking of couse) you do not want it to.

In the interest of serving the public, I'd prefer to make as much available as
possible as long as it does not compromise the security of the computer.
RealPlayer has annoying habits, but cannot get around properly-configured
security...

>Make sure that Fortres does not allow write access to "c:\windows\desktop"

...which would seem to be the right answer.  The NT equivalent would be setting
"C:\Winnt\Profiles\(name of public account)\Desktop" to read-only, and
RealPlayer will not be able to leave any droppings on it.

Software which has serious conflicts with other software or demands access to
the system directory may be a candidate for banishment, but frequently a little
ingenuity - can you say QuickTime and TIFF viewers? - can solve this problem
and make our patrons happy.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org