[WEB4LIB] Re: .wav files

Lori Bowen Ayre LBAyre at galecia.com
Tue May 8 14:25:14 EDT 2001

You can setup a partition using Parition Magic and copy an image of C
partition (and D if you're using a D partition as well) using Drive Image.
You can then boot from a set of floppies or a CD and restore the images from
disk.  Takes 10 minutes or so and I'm not sure how easy it would be automate
it, but it could be done fairly easily after someone messes with your
computer.  Not a solution for everyday though.  They sell the two programs
bundled as Drive Image Pro (http://www.partitionmagic.com/driveimagepro/).

A commercial products that seems to do just what you want is Clean Slate
(http://www.fortres.com/products/cleanslate.htm).  Here's what their website
says about it:

"Clean Slate is designed to protect public access computers from malicious
or inexperienced users.  While not restricting users’ activities, Clean
Slate will scour drives back to their original state upon reboot.  Clean
Slate takes only minutes to install and needs no attention, ever, for most
installations.  Clean Slate restores the computer to its original
configuration, no matter what users have done: including erasing files,
installing software, downloading viruses and Trojan horses, and altering
icons."

-Lori

Lori Bowen Ayre
Library Technology Consultant