[WEB4LIB] SQL/ASP/VBScript for librarians

Mark Pecaut pecautm at missouri.edu
Thu Mar 29 12:28:43 EST 2001

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 06:02:31AM -0800, Ian Winship wrote:
> Colleagues
>
> We currently maintain Access databases of our electronic journals and
> bibliographic databases as a management tool and to generate dynamic Web
> pages using asp scripts. The scripts were written by a colleague who has now
> left so we need to understand more what he did for suture developments. Also
> following advice from our IT folk we going to be moving the databases to
> SQL.
>
> Thus I am looking for some training material for fairly non-techy people and
> that ideally is intended for librarians in terms of the selection of the
> content. The general SQL, ASP and VBScript tutorials that I have seen are
> much too overwhelming in their detail.

I usually learn stuff like this by just jumping in and start writing.
When I don't know how to do something I look at some websites that
have tutorials or code and I search for what I want to do.

I like these sites:

www.4guysfromrolla.com
www.aspemporium.com
www.aspfaqs.com

there are lots of links from these to other ASP sites.  I don't recommend
Microsoft's pages because they are so crappy.  Note that none of these
sites are specifically for non-technical people, nor are they for
Librarians.  I don't think any sites like that exist.  This is because
programming is technical and not many librarians do it.  Besides, the
tutorials and howtos out there apply to all programming, including
that which might be done by a librarian.  There is nothing specific about
a library that would require a `special type' of programming for libraries.
You will probably have to roll up your sleeves and just jump in.

If you run into any specific problems or have specific questions,  why not
post them here?  I think this is the purpose of this list.

Best of luck,
-Mark