[WEB4LIB] EMail Access at the Public Library

Elizabeth J. McKenty a.k.a. Lisle lislemck at netscape.net
Tue Mar 27 14:44:14 EST 2001

Charles--

The key phrase in our Electronic Resources Policy is also that the Free Library of Philadelphia "does not support" use of e-mail at public workstations. We do not actually bar access to e-mail sites. The policy is widely interpreted to mean that public service staff does not have to assist patrons in setting up an e-mail accoount, or accessing one, etc.

That said, access to e-mail is intensely popular here--a true drawing card. I don't think we could bar it at this point, unless forced by implementation of CIPA or the Penna. State version in the works...

The e-mail users have not turned into a drain on reference staff time--mostly quite self-sufficient. At the Central library, they get 30 minutes on a PC. Some feel that is not enough, but most find it acceptable.

Elizabeth McKenty
Library Coordinator
Free Library of Philadelphia
lislemck at netscape.net