[WEB4LIB] librarians using buggy browsers

Bob Duncan duncanr at mail.lafayette.edu
Mon Mar 26 13:09:12 EST 2001

At 07:48 AM 03/26/2001 -0800, Bill Drew wrote:
>I am really surprised at some of the comments I am getting on my new
>website.  The negative comments are ALL from librarians using buggy versions
>of Netscape and Internet Explorer.  I am curious as to why web savvy
>librarians would continue to use buggy versions of browsers as far back as
>4.0 of both IE and Netscape?

Maybe the answer is in the question---because we *are* "web savvy".  I use
several browsers, versions, and platforms (not to mention connection
methods and screen sizes/resolutions) because I know that my users do and
because I know that many Web-based resources look and perform differently
depending on the combination of these factors.

Until the perfect, non-buggy, free browser comes out with all the features
I want/need for the public machines in my libraries, I use as my
predominant browser the same one I have installed on those public machines,
namely, Netscape Navigator (Standalone), version 4.08.  It may indeed be
"buggy", but as far as I can tell, it's no more buggy than the browser
module of any version of Netscape Communicator 4.x which has come out
since.  (And I'm not ready for Netscape 6 any more than it appears to be
ready for me.)

IMHO the implication in the phrase "as far back as 4.0" that higher
versions automatically equals less buggy is false.  The problem I reported
to Bill exists in NN4.08 (one of Bill's buggies), goes away in NC4.6,
reappears in NC4.7 and 4.73, and goes away in version 6.  And just for the
sake of argument, the problem I see when I visit billdrew.net using NN4.08
does *not* exist if I copy the code from that page, paste it into a new
doc, and view it locally (still in NN4.08).  Although I guess I'm savvy
enough to run that experiment, I'm not savvy enough to know why there's a
difference and whether it points to a buggy browser or buggy code or
what.  (If a browser can't handle a chunk of code, which is buggy, the
browser or the code?)

Bob Duncan

   Robert E. Duncan
   Systems Librarian