How to list items obtained as a group - still a question

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Mon Mar 26 09:52:43 EST 2001

When I was at Computers in Libraries, one of my major questions was to learn
how libraries are listing titles they get as part of a package deal.  When
we had the full package from ProQuest (when I was at Texas A&M in Laredo) we
would download their listing and add it to a spreadsheet that we made
available.

At FDA, out journals are in a database that is more difficult to add to.  W
can either try to list all of the individual titles we get from sources
(such as Ideal or Elsevier Science Direct) and keep up with the changes
(very difficult for a small library) or just list Ideal and Science Direct
and hope our clients can find what they want.  Some may, but many will not.

What do most libraries do?  The folks at Ideal did not think it was much of
a problem for most libraries to keep their lists up to date.  They have an
Excel format listing one can download.  Our database is based on Cold
Fusion.  The person at Pro Quest had no idea what I was talking about.  (But
it not infrequent for me to be in that situation.)  They had a long line
waiting for either massages or fancy drinks.

Any ideas.  I think I posted this a while back, but it is still a problem.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary E. Masters
FDA