[WEB4LIB] will OSS impact library automation?

Marshall Breeding Breeding at LIBRARY.Vanderbilt.edu
Thu Mar 22 14:38:34 EST 2001

Now, is it fair to jump at what I might say before I've said it?!  I
suppose.  But Eric has anticipated some of the what I meant
already.

He is of course right that many libraries have become users and
vocal advocates of open source software in their general
infrastructure-- web servers, public access workstations, various
supplimental databases and the like.

But what impact has open source had on the library automation
industry itself?  From my perspective, not all that much yet.  Quite
the contrary, library vendors have a stronger hold on the
technologies that underlie library automation systems than ever
before.  How many libraries get access to the souce code for their
ILS or are even able to negotiate that it be held in escrow?

This is an issue that I hope to explore in more depth.  Immediately
following the talk that Eric mentioned that I'll be giving at the E-
Libraries conference, I will be convening a panel discussion of chief
executives of the various large-scale library automation companies.
(So far the presidents of Ex Libris, SIRSI, and VTLS have
accepted, and others are tentative.)  The open source issue is one
of the topics that I had already planned to raise in that discussion.

I certainly welcome examples that show where procurements of
large-scale library automation systems are being impacted by open
source alternatives.  I'm aware of some efforts on the low-end of the
market.

More information is available on the E-Libraries conference at:
   http://www.infotoday.com/it2001/e-libraries.htm

btw, this is a new name for the conference that was formerly called
IOLS.  The larger conference now called InfoToday, is what used to
be National Online.

-marshall