will OSS impact library automation?

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Thu Mar 22 13:59:11 EST 2001

I was browsing though the program for the "e-libraries" conference in
May (NYC), and I saw this statement in the abstract of a talk by
Marshall Breeding, "Library Technology Officer" at Vanderbilt:

       " The Open Source movement has stirred a lot of discussion, but
it will not make a huge impact in
          library automation"

I suppose one terribly unfair translation of this is "Although most
libraries will run web servers on Apache, listservs on something else
free, databses on MySQL and much of the the code will be written in
Perl, library administrators should continue to focus their attention
and money on getting proprietary systems to do what they want them
to."

Obviously, he doesn't mean to say "Perl will not have a huge impact
in library automation" but rather something like "Don't expect to see
gnuOPAC anytime soon".

Eric
Eric Hellman
Openly Informatics, Inc.