[WEB4LIB] Re: Jack Valenti: Copyright and creativity

Mary E. Faccioli LIBMEF at langate.gsu.edu
Tue Mar 20 16:52:14 EST 2001

> An alternative viewpoint that I've found to be interesting reading:
> "Against Intellectual Property", by Brian Martin,

I am glad to see this brought into the mix.  When Lori Ayre asked earlier today "Am I wrong?  Anyone out there PRO-stealing copyrighted material?"  I almost responded, though I don't advocate stealing.  The point is, I personally find the perspective that one has ownership over ideas, thoughts, and even the "expressions" of those ideas and thoughts, to be flawed.  What Newton was referring to in his statement "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" was this idea that he would not (and could not) take credit for his contributions in the way we seem to need to these days in our culture.  Just my perspective; I know a lot of folks disagree!

For a recording artist's angle on at least part of this issue, an interesting read is this transcript from a speech by Courtney Love (caution - contains 4-letter words):
Courtney Love does the math: The controversial singer takes on record label profits, Napster and "sucka VCs."  http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/print.html

She closes this articulate (really! well, sort of) rant with the following: "Warren Beatty once said: 'The greatest gift God gives us is to enjoy the sound of our own voice. And the second greatest gift is to get somebody to listen to it.'  And for that, I humbly thank you."  I think she has the right attitude.

Enjoying this conversation immensely,
Mary Beth

Mary Beth Faccioli
Reference Collection Assistant