[WEB4LIB] Re: Computers in Libraries and the death of copyright

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Mon Mar 19 16:48:52 EST 2001

I respectfully disagree.

Law is a matter of enforcement in and of itself. If one makes a law they must
also make provisions to enforece this law. The law and enforcement are one in
the same. If you don't need a law, you don't need enforcement. Consequently,
if you do need a law, then you need some type of enforcement.

If you don't believe that copyright is secondarily of enforcement, check out
the latest on Digital Millenium Copyright Act. This act basically states that
it is illegal for someone to backwards engineer a copyright method. The
latest example of this is DeCSS, a method of decrypting the encoding used on
DVDs. The Motion Picture Association of America and many other organizations
allied with them have shoved this law down the throats of Americans who dare
to look at the way the MPAA stores information on a DVD. Websites have been
sued for posting the source code to crack DeCSS because the MPAA says that
DeCSS could lead to copying of DVDs. The opperative word is COULD. DeCSS is
not used to copy DVDs, it is merely used to play them. Almost any CD-ROM on
any computer could play DVDs with this system, but the MPAA doesn't like that
because it's not playing by their rules.

And also, if copyright isn't enforcement, then why is the Recording Industry
Artists of America (RIAA) trying so hard to destroy Napster? I'll tell you
why with one simple word... MONEY. Never mind that sales of CDs have
skyrocketed since Napster's inception. Never mind that economists can point
to this boom in music sales to around the time Napster came into being. Never
mind that the RIAA makes billions of dollars a year from CD sales. They are
suing Napster because Napster "violates copyright laws." Sounds like a pretty
big enforcement ethic to me and morals and ethics are really given amiss
here. What I'm saying is that the format that Napster uses for songs, MP3
compression, is taken off of CDs. I point to the RIAA vs Napster as proof
that audio CDs have PLENTY of anti-piracy provisions and millions of people
do habitually rip off audio CDs. And what law is the RIAA using? None other
than our friendly neighbourhood Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

The DMCAA, at its core, states that it is unlawful to reverse engineer a
product for any reason. Which means, folks, that if you go through the code
to a Windows programme and find that it regularly sends personal information
about you back to someone without your prior knowledge or permission, your
reward for protecting the privacy of others could be a hefty fine, jail time,
or both. While this hasn't happened, there was a scandal recently where a
Microsoft programme was indeed doing just that. It would never have been
found without reverse engineering.

There's no disrespect intended here. But I think ethics and law have been
kept apart for a long time and trying to tie the two together anymore is
difficult at best. The DMCAA is highly unethical. Does it protect the people?
No. It protects mighty multi-billion dollar corporations from some smart
person who can see through their codes and encryptions and find flaws or
unlawfulness on the part of the manufacturer. Is this ethical? No. Is it
legal? Yes, it's 100% legal. And I have a big problem with that. Recent
developments in copyright law and enforcement are disturbing to say the
least. A judge has ruled that it is illegal for me or anyone else to post the
source code for DeCSS on the Internet. That is nothing but violation of the
First Amendment right to free speech. Watch out folks, if they can say that
source code is not protected speech, then the next thing to go will be the
printed word.

Dan

--
The subject in question...