Computers in Libraries and the death of copyright

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Mon Mar 19 12:52:41 EST 2001

Went to Computers in Libraries last week and it was a bit of a time warp for
me.  I actually walked out on one speaker when he said several things that
were questionable ("I have no choice but to use Power Point and the other
basic programs") and "..my good friend Kenneth Starr."  But can report that
Roy Tennant said exactly what I have been saying in other arenas "Copyright
is dead."  Which is that what ever can be reduced to a computer file that
can be sent to others on the Internet will have no protection.  It may be
possible with some superhuman effort to make it illegal, but the process
will cost more than it is worth.  His presentation was excellent.  There was
a lawyer on the program, but he was clearly playing defense.  As he should.

The sooner people realize that it is a new world, the sooner we can devise a
system that will work.

Regards,

Gary Masters

Gary E. Masters